Monday, September 12, 2011

Bereavement Leave

I'm in the middle of what I know will be one of the most difficult times of my life. I've never looked grief like this in it's dark face and known it's come to reside in the hearts of all my family.

It seems unnecessary to state there is no easy way to deal with a death in the family. 

So far in this horrible experience I have not progressed to the "dealing" part of the timeline. Right now my family is watching death slowly leech away the patriarchal head of our extended family. 

The death of my beloved grandfather hasn't occurred yet, it's currently happening. 

It was difficult for me to approach my managers about this. I can't say there's been a death in my family- death hasn't closed its cold fist completely yet and I refuse to give death credit before credit is due. 

Death doesn't come with a schedule. I had to tell my managers, "I will need time off. Soon. Suddenly and soon and I don't know when." And my lead manager gave me a hug and said "Do what you need to do, whatever you need."

To their great credit, my work family has been very kind. They've given me shorter and easier shifts up till I'll need my time off. My co-workers have been picking up the slack I leave when I stand at the customer service counter zoned out for hours at a time. 

I don't know what is going to happen next with my family. But it is inexpressibly relieving to know my work supports me and my job is not only flexible, but secure. 

Prayers are appreciated. Pray not for the dying, he is at peace. Pray for the living who will miss him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment